SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Friday, November 7, 2008

ECHO & NARCISSUS


Who is this who has startled the deer?
Who has filled the woods with fear.... with fear
A young man, a hunter on the chase
Oh how beautiful, how lovely his face….his face

I will follow till I know what I must say
For with me words get in the way….the way
He sees me & harks “let us two meet”
And folish me all I do is repeat.....repeat

Does he not share my new found love?
He flees and cries “enough”….enough
Ashamed I fall down in the grass
Until my time has passed….has passed

I see him now down by the spring
Gazing into its depths & wondering….wondering
At just how beautiful, how perfect he is
Until the earth below is his….is his

You can hear me call from cave, from hall
To you I am Echo, that is all…..is all
& by the spring daffodils grow tall
In remembrance of Narcissus, my love….my all

3 comments:

Jan Maree said...

That is brilliant!

Suzanne Rowley said...

thanks for being so kind...thanks for your words of encouragement.

Jan Maree said...

Oh my goodness, I just realised these are YOUR words - this has become a favourite piece of mine. I have been reflecting on it this week and just noticed you had created a list of your poetry and there it was.

It is so clever (as you are) - echo, I really felt it and at the end I was so moved and thought, "That is brilliant!".