SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Thursday, September 11, 2008

BORN INTO THIS


Ever since I can recall I have struggled with my faith in God – I’m a Christian; then I’m an agnostic; then I’m an atheist & the cycle repeats itself – sometimes all in one day. It’s like I’m on some kind of ride, like a Ferris wheel where when I’m up above in the heights I can almost believe in anything…In all possibilities but then I come down to earth again (maybe it's the Bipolar?). I suppose I will continue this journey for the rest of my life. Sometimes I think nature has become my god – my Goddess!

One thing I don’t understand is when people don’t question faith – don’t challenge it; they just adopt whatever religion they happened to have been indoctrinated into as a child. How can religions that seem to think they have life ‘all worked out’ be so different from one another?

One thing I cannot understand even more is complacency, or people who are not passionate about their faith. It’s like they’ve cut God, or whatever it may be that they believe in, down to a convenient size – a pocket size version that they can pull out at times when needed, like a tissue or a comb.

Last year I read ‘The God delusion’ by Richard Dawkins as well as ‘God is not Great’ by Christopher Hitchens. After I finished reading them I was convinced I was now an Atheist & I recall a conversation I had with a couple of old Christian friends of mine. I was telling them both how I had completely lost my faith in God - one of them looked gravely concerned, the other just shrugged her shoulders & said something along the lines of ‘Whatever works for you’ as if I’d just said I no longer take sugar in my coffee when I used to have three! Aren’t we talking about the battle for my eternal soul? What could be more important than that!

What I’d like to see is a faith without borders, a church with no windows - no ceiling….maybe Mother Nature does provide us with our only chance at unity?

No comments: