SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Friday, September 26, 2008

THE FIGHTING TEMERAIRE

Ever since I can recall this has been my favourite painting. I love what it symbolises and I love the colour....the light. No one quite captures light like Turner. 'The fighting Temeraire - tugged to her last berth to be broken up" - I love the sheer beauty, the majesty of the Temeraire. Shrouded in ghostly colours, being dragged along by the smaller, uglier tug boat - spurting out its poisonous fumes to the sky. I love the fact that she's 'fighting', that she wants to live to see many a more sunsets. But she is losing the battle, the colour has drained from her - as if her spirit has already departed before she reaches her final shore, where she is to be torn apart, her organs scattered to the four corners of the earth, perhaps never to touch her beloved seas again.

No comments: