SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Saturday, September 27, 2008

THE PIANO



Jane Campion’s ‘The Piano” is perhaps my favourite film; I have been sitting at home today listening to the soundtrack. I love the fact that Ada has elected not to speak but instead expresses herself through music - the piano is her voice....her very soul. We never quite learn why Ada chose to stop speaking at the age of six but the film alludes to a traumatic childhood experience being the likely catalyst.

I admire Ada for her passion, her stubborn defiance & determination. God knows I long for silence in a world where so much is said about so little. This film is simply brilliant, from the potent sexuality, to the breathtakingly visceral cinematography, to the perfect piano score accompaniment. It is one of the few films where I have literally howled in the cinema – I just couldn’t stop myself.

YouTube link Michael Nyman: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=hdWLwRexMRA

No comments: