SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

ST KILDA


Well I left home & headed for St Kilda today, to go down to the pier & take a look around Acland St. Instead I ended up lost. I thought I’d take a short cut & ended up in Elwood heading towards Elsternwick. Now I’m usually pretty good with directions & have an inbuilt compass of sorts - but there is something about the area around St Kilda that always puts me way off course. It’s like the Bermuda triangle of Melbourne. It starts when I hit Balaclava train station & just gets worse from there, I can’t seem to determine my north from my south – it’s almost surreal.

When we first moved to Melbourne we were considering living in St Kilda because it was near where we both worked but I’m glad we didn’t find a place there. As a suburb it has now become quite trendy but it has a really seedy past & unfortunately you can still sense it. I don’t know why but I never quite feel safe in St Kilda, even in broad daylight.

I used to work as a community nurse around St Kilda/Albert Park & ran into some very interesting characters. I remember once going into a pharmacy on the corner of Fitzroy & Grey to pick up some meds for a patient. I started chatting with the pharmacist & he asked “how do you like the local flora & fauna?” to which he gestured towards a scantily clad woman sitting outside on a bench. She had her legs spread eagled & was wiping herself – she had no underwear on; no doubt she was one of the local prostitutes. I had never seen such a thing before – I remember feeling physically ill. I soon came to know that Grey Street was synonymous with prostitution & to avoid the area after dark. There are also the housing commission towers in the area, the scale of which I’d never seen before – some 20 storeys high. Its strange cause there are a lot of wealthy people in the area too – it’s like a melting pot.

Yet another time I was attending a get together in St Kilda with some girls from work – I was walking down Carlisle St & a guy came out of nowhere on a pushbike & knocked me over. With my hands & knees all bloodied I rang & waited for a cab to take me back home – I didn’t make it to the party.

I never even got to see the ocean today; I was so looking forward to it. The funny thing is that when I got home & looked on Google maps I was actually only a couple of blocks off hitting the waterfront. A somewhat befitting metaphor for my life at times. What made me finally turn around was I’d come to a park & a magpie gave me two warning swoops & I guessed that by the third strike I was out & that she’d hit me. So I didn’t get to the pier today & I didn’t get to see the devilish clown face of Luna Park or the Palais theatre.

I think I’ll give up on St Kilda – some people love it but some force seems to always drive me away. I think I’ll stay in familiar territory – South Yarra (home) & Caulfield (work), call me a snob cause I probably am one.

No comments: