SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Friday, October 17, 2008

CHILDREN

Aren't children just wonderful, not wonderful enough to ever possess me to have one, but wonderful nonetheless. I was talking to my mother just today & she reminded me of something sweet I had said as a child. When I was young my Nana used to come & stay with us on weekends, on leave from the nursing home. She had quite advanced dementia & had lost the ability to speak. I would have been about 5 at the time (so my mum says) & my mum was tucking me into bed for the night & I suddenly proclaimed:

"Gee I'm glad I'm young Mum"

"& why's that?"

-"cause you live longer"

you live longer! What a hoot! When you're a kid you can never quite get your head around how the old were once young & how one day you will be old just like them. I'm close to the age my mother was back then; she seemed so grown up - so "adult" & my mother will soon be approaching the age when my Nana started to deteriorate. Strange isn't it? Strange.....& scary.

2 comments:

fred val said...

i dont want children either - why is that - is it something about life is stressful but interesting enough without them

Suzanne Rowley said...

I think you're right, there have been times that I have thought that I've wanted a child but it's only been fleeting. I believe that there is a lot of societal pressure put on women to reproduce (I don't know if men feel sense it as well)- as if we're not "complete" until we have a child. Life definitely is interesting enough without them...& I'm flat out looking after myself most of the time!