SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

WHAT ABOUT ME?


I’ve just been talking to a dear friend of mine from Tasmania. Earlier this year she was diagnosed with some rare blood disorder – I can’t remember its name (terrible for a nurse I know); it’s some type of pre-leukemic blood dyscrasia. She has managed to get back to work 2 days a week despite being on oral cytotoxic medication. Why can’t I just be happy for her….that she’s doing well, the first thing I did was compare myself & my own inability to successfully return to the workforce, me…me….ME!

No, I really am genuinely happy for her, plus they’re two entirely different conditions. To be honest I haven’t even been thinking about the whole bipolar thing much lately, which I think is a positive step. At first it was nearly all I could think about. I did a SEEK search online for local nursing jobs – 554 results & some of them were listings for multiple positions. The job I was interested in at the radiotherapy centre had no date that the applications had to be in by so I rang up to enquire – the lady on the phone laughed as though I'd said something funny, stating that it was open ended as they “always need more nurses”. So in short, I don’t think I’ll have trouble getting a job but the trouble is in knowing when I’m ready to return, & that I won’t crumble at the first sign of stress. I know I sound like a whinger & I am but believe it or not nursing can get pretty darn stressful, I’ve been spat at, pissed on & slapped around. It could be worse; at least I’ve never been stabbed with a pair of scissors like my husband or locked away in a cupboard for 2 hours like an old colleague of mine was. People can get shithouse crazy when they’re sick.

No comments: