SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Thursday, November 20, 2008

WHO WE ARE


"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."

-ARISTOTLE-

I've been pondering over this statement for a few days now - when I first came across it, years ago, it meant little to me but now its effect upon me is somewhat profound. It's all in the details isn't it? Those multiple seemingly meaningless decisions that make up your daily life.....your existence. Personally, I try hard to be a good person, I for one don't believe that we are inherently good but that goodness is something we decide on - that we choose. And if we practice these acts of goodness, of excellence enough they become second nature....they become habit...they become who we are.

3 comments:

Hidden Sage said...

I like that quote.

I recently read a book called The Practicing Mind. I typed up my notes of the book on my blog. I found what the author said on habits to be in line with what Aristotle said. It made sense.
"Everything we do is a habit in one form or another. How we think, how we talk, how we react to a criticism, what type of snack we instinctively reach for, are all habits. Even when faced with a circumstance for the first time, our response to it comes from a habit"

L. said...

Lovely post. I will remember this today (and tomorrow, and the next day) and try to practice acts of goodness. Sometimes even just remembering to smile at others changes my day to day existence.

Girl Going Solo said...

Like the quote.