SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Friday, December 19, 2008

CLIMATE CHANGE


I apologise in advance as I ususaly try to keep my blog apolitical, but after the great expectations that came with a change of government, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd delivered one mighty blow on Monday in regards to climate change. The Federal Government has announced its plan to cut carbon emissions by just 5% (increasing this to 15% only if other major polluters commit to a global agreement). This decision places the Murray-Darling Basin, the Great Barrier Reef and the Australian Alps in a position of grave danger & we are at threat of losing these Australian icons. The Government has disregarded the advice of top scientists that state we must reduce carbon emissions by 25-40% - not a paltry 5!

I gave Kevin Rudd my preference vote at the last election due to the promises he made in regards to action on climate change - he has let me down....he has let Australians down & more improtantly he has let this great land down and the innocent native flora & fauna which inhabit it. It's enough to make me cry.

Youtube link: The Last Resort: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bsW5spaWmn0 - this song is about North America but it can be applied to so many places which have been ravaged by man. I must admit that I thought of linking to a Midnight Oil song (to keep it Australian) but that would be just a tad too ironic.

No comments: