SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Saturday, November 22, 2008

IN OVER MY HEAD


I am reading my first ever book on Buddhism, at nearly 35 years of age I now how belated this must seem, I blame it on my Baptist upbringing - better late than never I suppose. I am reading a book by Norman Fischer called "Taking our places: the Buddhist path to truly growing up." I'm really enjoying it, the part I'm confused about though is how you are encouraged to become at "one" with nature...at "one" with the "universe" - I have experienced this many times, and it is one of the main reasons why I abstain from meat & animal products, but I have been led to believe that this is delusional thinking & is part of my bipolar illness. I still have these experiences even though I'm medicated so what does that mean? I don't know, maybe I should just keep searching for answers, maybe I should talk to my mother-in-law (she heads a Thai meditation centre in Townsville) - problem is I can hardly understand a bloody word she says & she sounds like she's singing half the time - I love her dearly though...I do, well as much as you can love a mother-in-law.

4 comments:

Hidden Sage said...

I don't think it's related to medicine. I believe we can all experiences higher spiritual states. Some of us can maintain it and grow, others just have momentary experiences.

? said...

This is very peaceful. Thanks for the comment.

fred val said...

i think vegetarianism and environmentalism is good for self esteem and good for animals and the rest of nature
being at one with the universe sounds peaceful
although i now feel pain when i see an animal hurt or killed but feeling this way is worth it

what your shrink and you are debating might be quite subtle

Jan Maree said...

I love the mother-in-law comment.