SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Sunday, January 11, 2009

DOUBT


I went and saw the film Doubt today & let’s just say it’s left a pretty big impression. I can’t quite recall the last time I identified so much with a character as that of Sister Aloysius played by Meryl Streep. I wont give too much of the film away only to say that Sister Aloysius, the school principal, suspects the parish priest Father Flynn of inappropriate conduct with one of the school students. It is never quite established whether or not he is guilty, hence the title “Doubt.” Sister Aloysius approaches the Monsignor with her suspicions only for him to dismiss her & instead transfers Father Flynn to another school & promotes him in the process. The film ends with Sister Aloysius, who has thus far been portrayed as being of strong moral character & steadfast conviction, questioning herself & proclaiming her “doubts” to Sister James. It is left open to interpretation as to whether these doubts are about Father Flynn – has he committed no crime & she has therefore persecuted an innocent man? Or is he guilty & has now moved on to yet another school where he can continue to abuse young children? Or maybe she is questioning the very essence of her own personal faith in God?

Like Sister Aloysius I am a person of very strong moral convictions - to the extent that my psychiatrist believes they may well lie at the root of my depressive episodes. My approach to life is often deontological in nature, a series of obligations & duties which I am bound to regardless of the consequences – unfortunately I ascribe these rules to those around me also. I lost one of my closest & dearest friends due to this when I reported her for receiving single parent benefits when her partner was living with her & reported him for rorting child support payments. Shocking I know; I justified my actions by believing I was doing it for the honest tax payer & that what they were doing was fundamentally wrong…. but was what I did any better? I have even isolated myself from members of my own family by accusing them of nepotism & by claiming that if I find out one more time that they are pirating movies or doing “cash in hand” jobs I will notify the respective authorities. There was even an instance when a friend of mine who is a primary school teacher told me of how he, along with his male colleagues, discuss the attractiveness of female students - I couldn't sleep that night & even now I can't see him or think of him without recalling this conversation. What is wrong with me? Why am I so sanctimonious & self righteous? Most people just turn a blind eye & let sleeping dogs lie. Maybe it’s because I’m a nurse & have had to report such acts as child abuse & elder abuse, I don’t know – even now deep down I believe what I did was right…..how it's all black & white, just like a nuns habit.

2 comments:

Jan Maree said...

I am shocked to read that comment re discussing female attractiveness - that horrifies me and that will play on my mind also.

I understand where you are coming from Sue, perhaps we just crave the world to be a better, more honest, transparent place.

It means we beat ourselves up though and constantly try to be the best citizens...which can have such negative, all-consuming and almost dark consequences, as we fight to be, dare I say it, perfect?

I can't quite see either of us being Nuns but the idea is there, I understand.

I don't like to make waves and keep alot of my opinions to myself - I love that about you, you let people know what you think.

It is all so hard sometimes...

People are different but when they are hurting others, it is important to speak up.

Balance is important, I hear what you are saying. Staying calm is important too.

Where would we be without rules and those that enforce them?

Louise Viray said...

I think I'm the same as well. I'm still a student and yet I truly feel the need to do justice - not the drama.

Lately there are so many students at school bringing cellphones and yet they are not careful enough to hide them in their bags. Cellphones are banned from our school and is part of the Grounds for Suspension.

Being an officer, I'm tasked to catch students who don't abide by the rules. But I'm not so sure if I want to tell a teacher about these students, especially since they're seniors, and seniors who are not abiding by the rules shall not graduate.

Huhuhu, not taking action right now also makes me feel like I'm not doing my obligations, but I should be merciful at times right? Should I?