SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Saturday, April 25, 2009

NOW


On the recommendation of a friend I am currently reading "The Power of NOW" by Eckhart Tolle, talk about a tough read. I am beginning to realize that I am in a constant flux of either wallowing in the past or anticipating the future and rarely do I just exist in the moment - in the here & now.

As a nurse I help a young lady with EB - a condition which has left her disfigured and with major physical limitations. Because she asked, I disclosed to her my personal struggle with Bipolar - and I was amazed to hear that she has never gotten down & depressed, that she views life and every moment as a gift. In that moment I wished I could trade places with her.

This book offers hope of release from my burden of depression - teaching that positive ways of thinking & a commitment to the now is a choice that can be learnt & practiced until it becomes habitual. I'll keep you posted with how I go.

2 comments:

Jan Maree said...

you are an inspiration.

Tom Gray said...

Go for it, Eckhart Tolle is the real deal. Hard work but very rewarding. Best of luck, best wishes.