SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Monday, May 25, 2009

THE METRO



"In my twenty-seventh year, while riding the metro in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) I was overcome with despair so great that life seemed to stop at once, preempting the future entirely, let alone any meaning. Suddenly, all by itself, a phrase appeared: Without God life makes no sense. Repeating it in astonishment, I rode the phrase up like a moving staircase, got out of the metro & walked into God's light."

- Andrei Bitov (a Russian novelist who grew up under a government which denied the existence of God)

Oh how I can relate. For what purpose are we here for than for something outside of our mere selves? I ponder though at what & whom "God" is as such. Is he a kind and merciful God? if so I struggle to find his clemency at times. Or is he rather a remote being, the very model of a scientist - not wishing to tamper too much with the experiment.

2 comments:

Ida said...

WOW - this shot is AMAZING! Great job!

Suzanne Rowley said...

Unfortunately I didn't take it Ida - wish I had though.