SIMPLICITY

RATHER THAN LOVE, THAN MONEY, THAN FAME, GIVE ME TRUTH. - THOREAU-

Monday, November 17, 2008

THE CATCHER IN THE RYE


When I think about it the only competition I might ever be in with a chance of winning is the record of how many times you’ve read The Catcher in the Rye. I read it on average 1-2 times a year & I think I was about 12 years old when I first read it. I don’t really know what it is, I just love it. To this day it still makes me laugh out loud and sob with tears. To a certain extent I was a female Holden Caulfield – the getting kicked out of school, the cynicism & sarcasm and let’s not forget the mental health issues. I can relate to Holden’s high regard for all things pure & unadulterated, and I can sympathise with him when he comes to realise that we all must grow up.... that innocence is always lost, and that no matter how hard you try you can't always be "the Catcher in the Rye"

I’m so glad that J.D. Salinger refuses to sell the film rights, Holden hates the movies.

2 comments:

Hidden Sage said...

"I’m so glad that J.D. Salinger refuses to sell the film rights, Holden hates the movies"

Really? That's interesting. I didn't know that. Good! We get to enjoy the book without the images being forced upon us.

Beverlee said...

I, too, have made a point of reading The Catcher in the Rye at least yearly. It's truly unfortunate that John Lennon's assassin was carrying the book with him. I am also quite fond of Franny and Zooey and Raise High the Roof Beam Carpentar. I am also a great fan of John Steinbeck. I read Travels with Charlie every summer. If you haven't read it, do so. I think you will like it plenty. All the best to you, Beverlee!